Education and Qualifications:
Medical training: Liverpool University
BSc. First Class Honours in Pharmacology
MB ChB with Honours
MSc. in Clinical Imaging (Edinburgh)
MD with Distinction (Edinburgh)
I was appointed chairman of UKSRN Acute Clinical Studies Group for a 3 year term- April 09 with requests from them to renew for further 3 years following ongoing appraisal. I am a member of the NIHR Hyperacute Stroke Research Centre Oversight Board (2010-2015)
I represented the Royal College of Radiologists and also the British Society of Neuroradiologists on the Dept. of Health National Stroke Strategy Group and on the Intercollegiate Stroke Working Party & DH Imaging Forum in stroke. 2005-
I was elected in 2006 to be a member of the British Society of Neuroradiologists [BSNR] Executive Committee and was elected in 2009 to chair the BSNR Standards Subcommittee (2009-2014).
I coordinate Neuroradiology input into the Royal College of Physicians Peer Review Programme for Stroke Services and I act as an assessor on peer review visits.
I was recently elected Secretary of UK Neurointerventional Group (2012-2015)
Elected Chair of European Soc of Minimally Invasive Neurotherapeutics Clinical Research Committee 2013-2015
I act as an expert advisor for NICE, HTA, NCEPOD, Wellcome Trust and as external reviewer for MRC.
I act as a referee for many biomedical journals including the Lancet, British Medical Journal, Am J Neuroradiology, Journal of the American Medical Association, Stroke.
I sit on Editorial Board of the Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery [JNIS].
Trial Steering committee member – HCAT & PRET trials
Data Monitoring Committee – PRISSM Study (Chair), VITESSE Study
Scientific Committee – European Society Minimally Invasive Neurological Therapy [ESMINT]
1. Salman R, White P, Counsell Cet al. Outcome after conservative management or intervention for unruptured brain arteriovenous malformations J Am Med Association 2014 In Press
2. White P, Bhatnagar P. Clotbusting: beyond intravenous thrombolysis for ischaemic stroke. ACNR March 2014
3. Sellar RJ, White PM. Best evidence: Comments on meta-analysis of coiling versus clipping. Am J Neuroradiol 2013:34:1385-1386
4. Pierot L, Gralla J, Cognard C, White PM. Mechanical Thrombectomy after IMS III, Synthesis, and MR-RESCUE. Am J Neuroradiol 2013 34: 1671-1673
5. Fiehler J, Soderman M, Turjman F, White PM, Bakke SJ, Mangiafico S, von-Kummer R, Muto M, Cognard C, Gralla J Future trials of endovascular mechanical recanalisation therapy in acute ischemic stroke patients: a position paper endorsed by ESMINT and ESNR: Part 1: Current situation and major research questions. Neuroradiology 2012
6. Fiehler J, Soderman M, Turjman F, White PM, Bakke SJ, Mangiafico S, von-Kummer R, Muto M, Cognard C, Gralla J. 2012 Neuroradiology Published Future trials of endovascular mechanical recanalisation therapyin acute ischemic stroke patients - A position paper endorsed by ESMINT and ESNR: Part II: methodology and future trials. Neuroradiology 2012
7. Sanyal R, White P et al BASP Survey of IAT practice in the UK, Int. Journal of stroke 2013
8. Sandercock, P. , Wardlaw, J.M., Lindley, R.I., Dennis, M., Cohen, G., Murray, G., Innes, K., Venables, G., Czlonkowska, A., Kobayashi, A., Ricci, S., Murray, V., Berge, E, Slot, K.B., Hankey, G.J., Correia, M., Peeters, A., Matz, K., Lyrer, P., Gubitz, G., Phillips, S.J., Arauz, A., Baigent, C., Chadwick, D., Tyrrell, P., Lowe, G., Collins, R., Bath, P., Van Gijn, J., Gray, R., Hart, R., Yusuf, S., Clark, A., Perry, D., Soosay, V., Buchanan, D., Grant, S., Sakka, E., Drever, J., Walker, P., Herath, I., Brown, A.L., Chmielnik, P., Armit, C., Walton, A., Hautvast, M., Lewis, S., Heron, G., Odusanya, S., Linksted, P., Kane, I., Whiteley, W., Sellar, R., White, P., Keston, P., Farrell, A., Morris, Z., Miranda, H., Blackwell, L. The benefits and harms of intravenous thrombolysis with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator within 6 h of acute ischaemic stroke (the third international stroke trial [IST-3]): A randomised controlled trial. Lancet Volume 379, Issue 9834, June 2012, Pages 1232-1236
9. Macleod M, White PM. Editorial: “Not tonight , Darling, I might get a headache” Stroke 2011;42:1807-1808
10. Miller TD, White PM, Davenport RJ, Salman RAS. Screening patients with a family history of SAH for intracranial aneurysms: screening uptake, patient characteristics and outcome. J Neurol Neurosurg Psych – 2012;83:86-88