Education and Qualifications:
Medical training: Liverpool University
BSc. First Class Honours in Pharmacology
MB ChB with Honours
MSc. in Clinical Imaging (Edinburgh)
MD with Distinction (Edinburgh)
Northern Regional rep on NHS England Neurosciences Clinical Reference Group 2016-. Active in 2 additional related committees of NHS England - Thrombectomy Policy & Neurosciences Service Specification subcommittees
I was appointed chairman of UKSRN Acute Clinical Studies Group for a 3 year term- April 09 with requests from them to renew for further 3 years following ongoing appraisal. I am a member of the NIHR Hyperacute Stroke Research Centre Oversight Board (2010-2015)
I represented the Royal College of Radiologists and also the British Society of Neuroradiologists on the Dept. of Health National Stroke Strategy Group and on the Intercollegiate Stroke Working Party & DH Imaging Forum in stroke. 2005-
2014-2017 one of the (competitively appointed) members of the RCR iREFER oversight committee & also one of the Neuroradiologists undertaking evidence review Delphi exercises for the latest (2016) revision of the RCR publication: "Making the Best Use of a Radiology Dept."[now called i refer]. This evidence based document is extensively used nationally and internationally
I was elected in 2006 to be a member of the British Society of Neuroradiologists [BSNR] Executive Committee and was elected in 2009 to chair the BSNR Standards Subcommittee (2009-2014). Now co-opted onto executive BSNR committee as NHS England liaison.
Elected Secretary of UK Neurointerventional Group (2013-2017)
Elected Chair of European Society of Minimally Invasive Neurological Therapy (ESMINT), Clinical Research Committee 2013-2015. Chair Guidelines Committee 2016-2020.
Expert advisor for NICE, HTA, NCEPOD, Wellcome Trust and as external reviewer for MRC.
Invited to join HTA Interventional Procedures panel 2016-2019.
Member North East Medico-Legal Society. I undertake regular expert med-legal work with reasonably even split defendant: claimant.
I act as a referee for many biomedical journals including the Lancet, British Medical Journal, Am J Neuroradiology, Journal of the American Medical Association, Stroke.
I sit on Editorial Board of the Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery [JNIS].
Trial Steering committee member – PRACTISE, HCAT & PRET trials
Data Monitoring Committee – PRISSM Study (Chair), VITESSE Study, MR CLEAN NO-IV
Chair, Guidelines Committee – European Society of Minimally Invasive Neurological Therapy [ESMINT]
- Raymond J, Klink R, Chagnon M et al. Hydrogel versus Bare Platinum Coils in Patients with Large or Recurrent Aneurysms Prone to Recurrence after Endovascular Treatment: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Am J Neuroradiol 2017; 10.3174/ajnr.A5101
- Cora A, Ford GA, Flynn D, Gonsalves P, White P. CTA in acute stroke: short intensive training intervention is highly effective in improving radiologists' performance. Clin Radiol 2017; doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2017.04.015
- Mair G et al Observer Reliability of CT Angiography in the assessment of acute ischaemic stroke: Data from the Third International Stroke Trial. Stroke. 2017;48:353-360. DOI: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.015164.
- White P et al. Standards for providing safe acute ischaemic stroke thrombectomy services (September 2015). Clinical Radiol 2016; 10.1016/j.crad.2016.11.008
- Lenthall R, White P et al. BSNR training guidance for mechanical thrombectomy. Clinical Radiol 2016; 10.1016/j.crad.2016.11.007
- Muir KW, Ford GA, Messow C-M et al. Endovascular therapy for acute ischaemic stroke: the Pragmatic Ischaemic Stroke Thrombectomy Evaluation (PISTE) randomised, controlled trial. J Neurol Neurosurg Psych 2016;0:1-7. doi:10.1136/jnnp-2016-314117
- Flynn D et al. Characteristics of intra-arterial thrombectomy service provision in England. Int J of Stroke 2016
- Muir KW, White PM. HERMES: messenger for stroke interventional treatment. Comment. Lancet February 18, 2016 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ S0140-6736(16)00351-2
- Horne MA, Flemming KD, I‐Chang Su MD, Stapf C, Pyeong Jeon J, Li DA , Maxwell SS, White PM et al. Clinical course of untreated cerebral cavernous malformations: an individual patient data metaanalysis. Lancet Neurology 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(15)00303-8
- Lavine SD, White PM et al. Training Guidelines for Endovascular Ischemic Stroke Intervention: An International multi-society consensus document Am J Neuroradiol 2016, 10.3174/ajnr.A4766